Brighton Main Line Re-Signalling
Sussex Power Supply Upgrade »
« Balfour Beatty – Integrated Track Team
The main project in which CRS have been supporting Kier on is the Brighton main Line Re-signalling Scheme project. The works for this project have included the renewal of the trackside signalling equipment, which has not been updated since the 1980’s. The Brighton main Line is used by 300,000 people per day and connects Gatwick Airport and the south cost with London. With aging equipment, delays and congestion on the line were frequent. Therefore, kier have been assigned to replace and commission the Brighton Main Line Project.
The scope of works include;
More minor works include;
- Replacement of old filaments signal heads for a modern two aspect LED version supplied by Dormant.
- Replacement of Reed track circuits with EBI-200 track circuits.
- Replacement of multicore cables with maintainer friend Westplex Transmission System supplied by Siemens
- All 650V location equipment and cabling to be replaced which including a new feeder arrangement and 23 FSP is for the nine feeders between Haywards Heath and Preston Park.
- A total of 25 Location cases and 3 combinations cases which incorporated both a locations case equipment and an FSP installed.
- Sheet Pilling in Two locations to stabilize the embankments surrounding the new location cases.
- Installations of new impedance bonds throughout the work site.
- Replacement of Signal distance signage
- Ballast board retention in multiple areas throughout the work site.
- Installation for a new staging to accommodate a new FSP and Location case.
- Recoveries of redundant equipment and cabling. This includes 4ft equipment such as Impedance bonds.
- New Grp Route through Clayton Tunnel 2066mtrs
The project completed will make the line more reliable and far more maintainable.
Main contractor Kier contacted Civil Rail Solutions in the spring of 2018 to provide Civils based skilled labour for this project. CRS have been assisting Kier since late 2015 and have become a key partner in delivering these demanding projects.
"A Massive thank you to you and your team for all their efforts during the past 12 months. Our 9-day blockade must have a special mention as this was delivered to a very high standard, with staffing levels topping 177 per shift. You have showed a commitment and attitude to succeed, to perform and deliver to a high standard whilst maintaining a great safety record Network Rail have been very complimentary about the scheme and speciﬁcally your ability to adapt to the developing conditions and programme. Your assistance in making this project a success is greatly appreciated. "
Dean Edmunds, Senior Construction Manager, Kier
- Construction Management
- Site Managers
- SWL 1 / Coss
- HV Competent
- Skilled Ground Workers